Sunday, August 15, 2010

Vintage in Historic Asbury Park, New Jersey



Besides the obvious, what do Bon Jovi and Bruce Springsteen have in common? They have both shopped at Carla Gizzi in Asbury Park.



I first met Carla in the antiques section of Red Bank, NJ, where she has another shop filled with "vintage inspired jewelry and home decor". I was entranced from the moment I walked through the door.




In early May, the beginning of the season "down the shore" in New Jersey, Carla opened a second shop in Convention Hall on the boardwalk in historic Asbury Park.



She absolutely loves her second location, and talks about how wonderful it is to be a part of the revitalization of the area. She's not alone - she told me people come from all parts of New Jersey as well as New York. They feel nostalgic about Asbury Park...they loved going there as kids, and want to be a part of the re-birth - they want it to succeed.




In fact a recent article in the Star Ledger discusses the come-back of Asbury Park. Mark Di Ionno writes:

"Three years ago, a plastic bag blowing down the Asbury Park boardwalk would have bounced like a tumbleweed as far as the wind took it.

No more."

There are fireworks every Wednesday at 9pm, and many weekend events. In fact, some people "like" Carla on Facebook simply to keep up with what's going on in Asbury Park, as she posts events and happenings on her page.

Carla has a beautiful assortment of large and small items in both her shops.





She has more furniture in her Red Bank location (169 West Front Street) - gorgeous, shabby-chic, romantic, furniture, some with mosaic detail. Bon Jovi has some of the mosaic tables - I have to confess, I made her repeat that about three times, because I just thought it was SO COOL!!! She has also chatted with Bruce several times when he was in her shop.




What are some of the most popular items in her Convention Hall shop? She can't keep her "I Love You to the Moon and Back" sign in stock!



I love all of Carla's things, and her shops are just so prettily arranged, you'll want to browse around forever. Visit her website for more details, and treat yourself to a trip to her shops!




'Til the next "picking weekend"...have a great week everyone!

Mona Kay

Disclaimer: I blog about shops and markets that I love. Unless otherwise disclosed, I have not been compensated for my opinions - I just love sharing the great places I find!

No comments:

Post a Comment