Sunday, August 1, 2010

Repro Vintage

As a newbie garage sale diva, I'm finding that July and August are tricky. It's hot (REALLY hot, depending on where you are, like in New Jersey), and people are on vacation. A weekend has not yet passed where there wasn't at least one garage sale, but it can make for slim pickings, and it's just not as much fun to walk around the flea markets in 95 degree heat. I found myself looking for alternatives this weekend.

Even the most die hard lovers of vintage seem to be okay with mixing some new or at least reproduced items into their decor. Beautiful, soft towels perfectly compliment a distressed bathroom cabinet, fresh candles dress up vintage holders. Sometimes a decorator is going for a certain look, and a reproduced vintage item is used to fill in the space next to a collector's "finds". I let myself indulge in this type of decor this weekend with my birthday gift certificates to Anthropologie.

I love home decor books which feature flea market items, or a relaxed/shabby style - I sit with coffee and page through them on weekend mornings...these were too tempting to pass up.





Lately I have been intrigued with bottles and glass decor, especially if there is some silver detail. This reproduced silver votive holder fit perfectly with my vintage finds from recent estate sales:






I wandered around for quite some time with my mother and my sister. We gravitated to very different items, so calling each other over to investigate a "find" was like having three different shopping experiences - possible at Anthropologie because of their variety. It was a treat to do some retail shopping with my mother and my sister, complete with drinking fruit smoothies at a table in the shade. It was even more fun because I didn't have to leave my passion for vintage behind!

Where beyond the "usual suspects" have you shopped to indulge your passions?

Mona Kay

5 comments:

  1. I just can't get enough of thrift stores... garage sales start too early for me! :) Monique xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Monique, I feel your pain! And Rachel Ashwell advises hitting the flea markets when it's still dark - she says you should bring a flashlight & make your purchases before the vendors unload them from the trucks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mona...I always love your posts, I hope the garage sale scene picks up pretty soon. I live in the heat so I know what you mean! Take care :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Arlene! I just can't wait until it cools off...just a little!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You might get a Monet or Picasso to complement these classic treasures.

    ReplyDelete